Blues Defined

"Blues, to me, comes from when a person can feel other peopl

"A guy will promise you the world and give you nothin', and that's the blues. "

--Otis Rush
e's pain and is able to articulate it." --Carlos Santana

Monday, January 7, 2013

Peavey Classic 20 Tube and Speaker Swap

Here is my Peavey Classic 20 15 watt tube amp.  It is a Class A with two 12AX7 and two EL84's.  The tubes were replaced recently by the individual I bought it from with a matched set of Mullards and the speaker has been replaced by a WGS G10 c/s, which I have researched a bit.  It is designed to smooth out the breakup and allow the amp to gain more clean headroom, while still achieving nice bluesy tone.  The tubes reduce the power output approximately 15-20%, also allowing for more versitile usage of both clean and overdrive sounds, as needed.

I will be pleased to use this amp for small gigs and plan to look for a 1X12 or 2X12 extension cabinet that will allow me to play this in a larger gig/venue. 

More pictures to come later.  Stay tuned blues guitar friends! -- Guitar Man

2 comments:

  1. Dude, I have one of these. I love it. Great with 2-12 cab, for practice and small gigs. I have the stock speaker in and it sucks. When you plug in a ext cab, shuts off the speaker. This is great. For bigger gigs i use a classic 50 410. Both are great sounding amps. But, I truly love that little 15 watt muderf**ker... I bet if I changed the speaker, oh my...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tunerup, Sorry I was so slow to reply. I appreciate your comment. Yes, a great little amp. I flipped it to get a Classic 30 and even though the 20 is great, I couldn't afford to keep them both, so I went for it and bought the bigger one with the 12 inch speaker. The cab sounds like a great way to do it, though. I figured I might as well lug around a reasonably sized combo at 39 lbs and get the full sound rather than have to haul both with a bad back. Well, your method would beat that with 2X12 speaker config. So, thanks for posting, Tunerup!

    ReplyDelete