Blues Defined

"Blues, to me, comes from when a person can feel other peopl

"A guy will promise you the world and give you nothin', and that's the blues. "

--Otis Rush
e's pain and is able to articulate it." --Carlos Santana

Friday, October 28, 2011

Fender Lonestar Strat Sounds Full and Powerful

Fender Deluxe Lone Star Stratocaster - Upgrades from Standard MIM Strat
Playing my new Fender Deluxe Lone Star Stratocaster has been really enjoyable. I have found the two Texas Special pickups to be very full and warm.  The front neck pickup sounds quite melodic and full.  The middle pickup has a sweet, plucky sound.  The bridge pickup is the USA made Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Humbucker.  This pickup really is surprisingly impressive.  Some reviews I read prior to receiving this guitar had guitarists saying that the humbucker on this strat was too hot and imbalanced, overpowering the Texas Specials.  It was described as having a shrill tone.

I am glad I didn't listen to these naysayers.  Turns out the Pearly Gates Humbucker is just a great blues or rock 'n roll bridge pickup!  My favorite setting is in the number two switch position so that has the added noise canceling and warming effect from the middle Texas Special Pickup.  This way you get the growl of the Humbucker tempered by the middle pickup.  In addition, this humbucker sounds great through an overdrive pedal or DSP overdrive setting.  These setting combinations create really great sounding overdriven blues licks!

I am sincere when I say this Fender Deluxe Lone Star Strat sounds and players better than my Fender American Standard I sold in the spring.  So far, I have not gone with the wammy bar.  I have the Vintage Tremolo bridge adjusted to a level position with the top of the guitar.  -- Guitar Man

2 comments:

  1. Dan....I wish I understood the technical guitar jargon that you discuss. That way, I could make a relevant comment. But, that's why you're the Maestro!! However!! If you ever need someone to explain the 'secret' move in Ben Hogan's golf swing to the masses....that I can do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That I am sure of-- If I were looking for great golf technique and/or equipment analysis, I would turn to you before all others. I am more a singer/acoustic guitarist, but I am working on learning the electronic world of guitars, particularly those found in Blues music. Thanks for coming on the blog and commenting Mark. :)

    ReplyDelete