Blues Defined

"Blues, to me, comes from when a person can feel other peopl

"A guy will promise you the world and give you nothin', and that's the blues. "

--Otis Rush
e's pain and is able to articulate it." --Carlos Santana

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Great Blues-y Setting with Fender Strat Bridge Humbucker

Just found a great new blended sound on my Strat and Fender Deluxe 90 DSP Amplifier.  I switch the pickup selector to the second position (second spot furthest removed from the player, on the bottom) and this engages my middle pickup (Texas Special) and the bridge Pearly Gates Humbucker made by Duncan Seymour.  I then mixed the knobs as follows:

Volume on 7 or 8, first tone (mid pickup tone) on 10 and the final tone knob for the bridge is on 1 (one).  This creates an amazing old school blues sound.  On the Fender Deluxe 90 I have the first switch for overdrive selected and a moderate amount of reverb.  The overall volume in the channel one is set on 1 or 2.  The sound is incredible!

What I get is a crunchy dark and bluesy sound.  It mellows out with a softer stroke of the pick and becomes more intense with a harder pluck.  Well, then the great thing about this is the way the humbucker sounds when starved of tone!  Amazing slight remembrance of Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum, without the big echo thing!


Try this with your bridge pickup, better yet if it is a humbucker.  I plan to record a sample of this sound for you to hear soon.  Thanks for stopping by.  -- Guitar Man

No comments:

Post a Comment